As a therapist I seek to help people look at and EXPAND the positive things in their lives. At EVERY session I always start off by asking the people I work with, “What is going well since I last saw you?” I train them to begin to look at small progress, things that make them happy, things that are changing for the better, etc.
As a therapist I have a strong belief that I won’t ask a client to do what I haven’t already done or what I would be unwilling to do myself, so today I thought I would challenge myself and look over a week in my life and come up with 101 things that I am happy about.
Here is my list and I would love to hear what your list is. Remember it doesn’t have to be big, something simple, something small, something that puts a smile on your face.
1. Shaun T. – he is my workout buddy 5 days a week. I love T-25!
2. Apple TV – I love that what I put on my computer can pop up on my TV for all to see. I often use this during Friday supervision with my registered (and AWESOME) interns I might add.
3. My spouse
4. My comfy bed
5. My sweet dog
6. Dr. Oz
7. Dr. Alejandro Junger’s 3 different detox diets for cleansing your body
8. My ability to communicate
9. My ability to see things systemically
10. Tony Horton – P 90 X
11. My friends
12. My upbringing
13. My “Connecticutness”
14. Living in South Florida – there is just so much to do!
15. Presenting in Orlando this weekend with my amazing colleague – Dr. Kate Campbell
16. My presenting skills
17. The word “FUN” and knowing how to use it and what to do with it
18. My kayaking trip with my friend Duane Lawrence with Primerica
20. Youtube – I have learned to create a toga, make a zombie costume, and many more cool things.
21. Google – who doesn’t love Google
23. Free stuff
24. Coupons – I LOVE using coupons and getting cool deals
26. New recipes that are yummo!
27. Having face to face time with friends and family where we get to connect
28. My anticipation and excitement of my Alaska trip
29. Being able to see glaciers in Alaska
30. Being financially sound
31. The universe
32. Allowing myself to be divinely and intuitively guided
33. The 10 – 15 minutes each day my spouse and I talk, connect, work through and tackle things in our life and relationship
34. “Sleep in Sundays” – this is more of a fantasy, every so often I do sleep in but most often not really
35. Taking a nap
36. Stretching myself
37. Seeing challenges as life lessons
38. National Marriage Seminars
39. Lori and Chris Cambas from Couple Strong
40. Facebook and being able to see peoples’ lives grow, develop and transition
41. My mentor – Dr. Annalynn Schooley
42. The plethora of referrals from people I know over the last month
43. Getting a good deal on 500 flyers from Overnight prints for my Bereavement Group I do with Coral Springs Funeral Home
44. Amazon Prime – enough said! Love them! Why didn’t anyone tell me sooner about that???
45. The opportunity Neiko Shea has given me with working with birth moms with Gift of Life Adoptions
46. Being witness to my clients achieving their goals right before my eyes
47. Watching a client empower herself and being clean for 5 weeks
49. My humor
50. Sharing laughs
51. Dunkin Donut coupons
52. “Hook ups” – I get a lot of free or reduced priced things
53. Peace and Calm
54. Self Discovery Life Mastery
55. Free legal advise from my friend and colleague Attorney Leisa Wintz, Esq. from Solaris Law Group
56. The 3 new pair of shoes I got at Marshalls – so cool
57. My shifted and transformed relationship with money
58. David Lawrence of Image2Site.com – my web designer who has put in countless hours helping me get my new website off the ground
59. My new website – I can’t wait to show all of you!
60. Networking events
61. Having so many opportunities that there is just no way to attend everything
62. Trying new things like “mint flavored chlorophyl” who knew…
63. Creating more time and space in my schedule
64. My amazing registered interns
65. Having a talent for what I do
67. The Gottman Method of Couples Counseling – which has changed both my practice and relationship
68. My car – it gets me everywhere I need to go, never a hassle. My car’s name is “Nike” because it looks like a cross trainer sneaker – do you name your car?
69. Sharing resources with people that they are jazzed about
71. Maintaining contact and having personal relationships with the many people I supervised and led over the years
72. Being there when others need you
73. Jammies – I love PJs and workout clothes – so comfy
74. That I am 27 things away from finishing this list
75. The ocean
76. Feeling good
77. Sleeping well
78. Being able to be honest, open and authentic
79. Thinking about Father’s Day and what my dad taught me about finances and money through role modeling
80. The woman who created the 18 guidelines for her son’s iPhone use including that “you will mess up and that is ok. We will talk about. You will lose your phone, but just remember I am on your team…” How cool is that!
81. Shawanna Walls cupcakes – yum!
82. BAMFTs upcoming Supervisor/Supervisee Meet and Greet
83. Being successful
84. Buying new fun jewelry
85. Thinking about going on a cruise with my mom or as she would call it, “a real vacation” as we have never been on one together. The cruise also happens to be on her birthday
86. Things ALWAYS working out
87. Trusting in the universe and knowing that everything is “perfect” exactly the way it is
88. Hearing about and experiencing my friend’s pregnancy woos first hand
89. Hearing my friends have “aha” moments
90. Being apologized to
92. Teaching my dog a new trick – “shake”
93. Realizing that it took me only 40 minutes to come up with and type this list and I have 9 more to go
94. Being offered opportunities
95. PMA – Present Moment Awareness & Mindfulness
96. My supervisees making me proud and watching their growth
97. The smell of birthday cake candle
98. Anticipating watching “22 Jump Street”
99. Dunkin Donuts having any size ice tea for $1.05
100. Valuing myself and my time
101. Love – xoxo
As I finish my list I realize there are so many more things I could be putting on here. I challenge you to make your list and strengthen your Attitude of Gratitude! Who is up for the challenge?
by Katie Lemieux