Working through an affair is not easy. It takes a lot of work, time, energy, and patience. You will need to make time for your relationship, yourself and each other. This is a healing process and healing takes time.
Before coming to therapy for Affair Recovery both partners should read through these questions and answer them honestly:
- Am I committed to working on my relationship?
- Am I willing to cease all communication, contact, etc. with the affair partner or source of betrayal (online websites, Facebook, etc.)? (Partner involved in the affair/betrayal)
- Am I willing to deal with the emotions that come with working through the affair or betrayal in my relationship?
- Am I willing to learn ways to manage my emotions and communicate in ways that enhance my relationship rather than further hurt or damage my relationship?
- Am I willing to take care of myself in this process, have my own outlets that are healthy?
- Am I willing to take responsibility for my actions, behaviors, thoughts, and emotions?
- Am I willing to make time for my relationship to enhance connection, deepen friendship and create healing?
- Am I willing to look inside myself, share, communicate, listen, and attempt to understand my partner?
- Am I willing to be able to look at what happened in the relationship that may have contributed to the affair occurring?
If you are unsure if you are ready, thinking about leaving, or perhaps even questioning your relationship we can assist as well.