Katie chats with Tammy about Dr. John Gottman’s 7 Principles for Making Marriage Work. She utilizes The Gottman Method of Couples Therapy in her practice. She has been trained in all 3 levels of the Gottman Method of Couples Therapy, The 7 Principles Educator Training, and Bringing Baby Home.
She has also had training with Dr. Sue Johnson as well as training working with complex couples – couples dealing with trauma, PTSD, domestic violence, mental health issues, addictions, and affairs.
The 7 Principles for Making Marriage Work:
- Enhancing Your Love Maps – knowing one another’s world.
- Nurture Your Fondness and Admiration – building a culture of fondness, admiration, appreciation and gratitude for one another.
- Turn Toward Each Other Instead of Away – reaching for your partner, staying emotionally in tune, engaged, and connected.
- Let Your Partner Influence You – the willingness to accept and share power, decision making, being influenced by the ideas, thoughts and opinions of each other.
- Solve Your Solvable Problems – being able to identify the 2 types of marital conflict, working through the solvable problems, compromising, building a sense of we-ness, and having de-stressing conversations,
- Overcome Gridlock – moving from gridlock to dialogue.
- Create Shared Meaning – creating deep meaning and a culture for your relationship.
If you are interested in learning how to apply these principles to your relationship, buy the book, or schedule an appointment & let’s get started!